Name:
Location: Camden, Maine, United States

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Lessons from a Broken Foot - Needs

It is very interesting what pain can do for us. It certainly gets our attention.

I awoke this morning praying. It was interesting, I didn't awake and start to pray but was praying when I woke up. My foot was throbbing as I was praying. I praised the Lord and sought His healing and grace, and then began to think about "needs."

At that moment I needed the grace of God to be able to take that pain and some other wonderful manifestations of our dear Lord. But as I continued to think about it, my mind ran to the thought of how many times we expect our "needs" to be met but do not look to the only One who ever promised to meet our needs?

Having been involved in the ministry of the Local Church for awhile I can identify with these words. . . "my needs aren't being met." Somehow people have the idea that every need social and physical is to be met by the Local Church. I have averaged one phone call per week, over the last 6 weeks, from folks looking for financial help, and these were from people who have never attended our church. If they did they would find a very good Adult Bible Class being offered right now on finances, which would go along way to "meeting the need."

But then I got to thinking is the church to meet all the needs. Has it been called to that? I am thinking of the teaching ministry of the church, because that is usually what is referred to when people say "my needs aren't being met." The worship and teaching hour of the church is not about me, it is about God!

I believe in most churches we would find that “needs” can be met if we would take advantage of getting to know one another. There are tremendous resources in the membership of a local church.

It is my contention that "needs" are met through the people of the church doing the work of the ministry. The exercise of the talents and abilities that the Lord has given to each of us are tremendous. Of course there must be a willingness to exercise those skills.

I guess that it all comes down to this. There is but One who ever promised to meet or “supply every need.” He will do it however He chooses. He may even use a doctor to heal a broken foot. After all, did He not give that good doctor his skill?

Think of these words of Annie S. Hawks, written in 1872, as you are trying to slug through the mine field of you needs.

I need Thee every hour, most gracious Lord;
No tender voice like Thine can peace afford.

I need Thee every hour, stay Thou nearby;
Temptations lose their power when Thou art nigh.

I need Thee every hour, in joy or pain;
Come quickly and abide, or life is in vain.

I need Thee every hour; teach me Thy will;
And Thy rich promises in me fulfill.

I need Thee every hour, most Holy One;
O make me Thine indeed, Thou blessed Son.

Refrain
I need Thee, O I need Thee;
Every hour I need Thee;
O bless me now, my Savior,
I come to Thee.


Have a wonderful day serving our Wonderful Lord, by Grace Alone!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the ways Jesus showed His love when He was on this earth was by attending to people's physical needs. We show Christ's love by attending to the needs of others, and by such testimony a seed may be planted or watered. The body must do this together according to the gifts given to them. They must each know their particular gifts and be put to work using them to bring glory to God.

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home