Name:
Location: Camden, Maine, United States

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Lessons from a Broken Foot!

I am not unused to the difficulty of a broken bone, I have had a few in my day. Most recently I have been enjoying the benefits of a broken foot, and surgery for the same. You know, meals brought to you without having to ask; "Honey, now don't get up, just rest that foot, you know what the Doctor said." Not too bad!

This morning as I was making my way down the stairway Psalm 51 came to mind; Psalm 51:8 - Make me to hear joy and gladness; [that] the bones [which] thou hast broken may rejoice. Now may I just say that my broken foot was not the result of some sin. It was the result of something very, well, not smart. My wife has been trying to help me with the word "stupid." It is not allowed in our vocabulary anymore since our grandchildren are not permited to use it. That is another story for another time.

It is funny how a broken bone can require all of your attention. You move and your broken bone will come to mind. Well, back to something I find in this verse.

David, to make a long story short, has sinned, been challenged, brought under great conviction, and now repents. This isn't the first place that David talks about bones when explaining conviction. In Psalm 6:2 his bones were "vexed, -- troubled, shaky, trembling, etc. . ." in other translations. Psalm 31:10 His bones are “consumed because of his iniquity.” Psalm 32:3 is interesting because it tells us that when David did not confess his sin ("kept silent") his bones "waxed old through my roaring." Psalm 38:3 Due to the conviction of God upon David he says there was no "rest in my bones because of my sin."

A broken bone not only hurts, but it nags at you! It is there all the time! It will steal you sleep, slow your work, divert your attention. It effects all other areas of your life! It will just cause you a whole lot of grief! While my broken foot has been repaired by surgery, it took it's toll on my ankle, my tendon was also broken and damaged, arthritis had set in, you name it! I am thankful for my Doctor who repaired it all.

Well, sin is like that. It will just make you miserable until it is cared for by our Lord. Confession and repentance is absolutely essential in dealing with sin. Sin cannot just be ignored. It will not go away! Our Lord loves us and will chasten those He loves. Praise the Lord! And when we confess, He demonstrates His faithfulness to us once again by forgiving us. When we repent, He strengthens us for victory.

This old foot will heal soon. When it does heal, it will back to the kind of activity I should be enjoying!

David's prayer looked forward to God's forgiveness and joy. Psalm 51:8 Make me to hear joy and gladness; [that] the bones [which] thou hast broken may rejoice. 51:12 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me [with thy] free spirit.

Get the broken bones caused by your sin fixed - confess and repent! He will bring you JOY again! That is a great exchange!

Have a wonderful day serving our Wonderful Lord, by Grace Alone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home