Name:
Location: Camden, Maine, United States

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

A Pressing Mercy

Psalm 38:1-2 are two verses that tell us of the convicting power of our God. 38:1 O LORD, rebuke me not in thy wrath: neither chasten me in thy hot displeasure. 2 For thine arrows stick fast in me, and thy hand presseth me sore.

The arrows of the Almighty are the prodding’s of God’s convicting grace. When we sin, or continue on in sin, the goodness of our God is revealed to us in His wonderful convicting mercy.

Have you thought of conviction as mercy? Conviction makes us sick of our sinfulness. This Psalm goes on to describe that kind of gross malady. Look at these few verses that follow. 38:3 [There is] no soundness in my flesh because of thine anger; neither [is there any] rest in my bones because of my sin. 4 For mine iniquities are gone over mine head: as an heavy burden they are too heavy for me. 5 My wounds stink [and] are corrupt because of my foolishness. 6 I am troubled; I am bowed down greatly; I go mourning all the day long. 7 For my loins are filled with a loathsome [disease]: and [there is] no soundness in my flesh. 8 I am feeble and sore broken: I have roared by reason of the disquietness of my heart. 9 Lord, all my desire [is] before thee; and my groaning is not hid from thee. 10 My heart panteth, my strength faileth me: as for the light of mine eyes, it also is gone from me. 11 My lovers and my friends stand aloof from my sore; and my kinsmen stand afar off.

While conviction of sin brings the believer dreadful fear and remorse it is by the Lord’s mercies that we are inflicted.

Let me share a couple of other passages that speak of this mercy of God. Daniel 9:9 To the Lord our God [belong] mercies and forgivenesses, though we have rebelled against him; Even in our rebellion our God is a God of mercy. That is overwhelming to me. It is so unlike my own heart. The Bible tells us that rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, yet the God of ALL MERCY stands ready to forgive!

I think a great example of this is the Father and the Prodigal Son. The Son has come to the end of his rope and with nowhere else to turn he turns to the One he knows will show mercy. Look beginning at Luke 15:18. I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee, 19 And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants. 20 And he arose, and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him. 21 And the son said unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in thy sight, and am no more worthy to be called thy son. 22 But the father said to his servants, Bring forth the best robe, and put [it] on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on [his] feet: 23 And bring hither the fatted calf, and kill [it]; and let us eat, and be merry: 24 For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry.

I believe this is incredible. The son is in the pit. He returns to his Father and when he is yet “a far off” the Father runs to Him! And the result of the mercy bestowed upon the son by the Father is at verse 24 “And they began to be merry.”

What hits me most in this is what kind of change this must have brought to the son. He came, perhaps with some sort of fear, but ends with rejoicing. I cannot imagine the son ever wanting to leave his Father again, can you?

So when you are faced with the conviction of your sins, when the arrows of the Almighty stick fast within you and bow you low, run to the Father. He is extending His mercy and shall continue to be merciful and resort to you the joy of His great salvation.

Have a wonderful day serving our Wonderful Lord, by Grace Alone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home