Name:
Location: Camden, Maine, United States

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

For Me! For Me!

These are the words to "My Only Plea" written by John Crombie White, circa 1908.

O theme with love and mercy fraught,
Salvation full and free,
That Christ upon the cross has wrought
For me, for me:

When dreadful sin my soul assails,
And death shall compass me,
That Christ o'er sin and death prevails
For me, for me:

And when before the throne I stand,
And judgment set shall be,
That Christ fulfilled the law's command
For me, for me:

Refrain:
This shall be my only plea,
This shall be my only plea,
That Christ was crucified for me,
For me, for me.


The hope that song gives us is found in the mercy of God which moves his saving grace toward us. Paul wrote these precious words to Titus in 3:5-7 - Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

It is. . . according to his mercy he saved us. . . . The salvation of our God is so very great. It is out of His mercy, that He reaches in saving us. His mercy moved Him to extend His grace, His Son, and His forgiveness. But key to it all is, it is all of Him. Mercy is not something that we obtain, it is something that He freely gives. Salvation is not something that we earn, it is the gift of God. Grace is not a provision of God for mankind, it is the heart of God reaching His people. Christ is not ours because we have decided to follow Jesus, He is ours because He who was rich became poor so that we might be given riches out of His act of poverty.

Someone said: Look at the emphasis Paul places upon God’s work in these verses: of God. . .not by works. . . His mercy. . . He saved us. . . of the Holy Spirit. . . He poured. . . through Jesus. . . by His grace. . . heirs. . . .

Do you realize that because of this work, we have been saved? Do you understand that. A person is saved by a rescuer. He is not saved because he was coaxed to a place where he could reach out and take hold of a savior’s hand. A savior plans, moves, and rescues! The one being rescued is helpless to save himself, or help the savior save him, or else he would not need a savior.

The Savior our dead soul needs my friend is the God of all mercy, the Son of the Living God, the Lord Jesus Christ.

When dreadful sin my soul assails,
And death shall compass me,
That Christ o'er sin and death prevails
For me, for me:

This shall be my only plea,
This shall be my only plea,
That Christ was crucified for me,
For me, for me.


Have a wonderful day serving our wonderful Lord, by Grace Alone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home