Name:
Location: Camden, Maine, United States

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Give Thanks - Abounding Hope!

As we progress towards our national holiday of Thanksgiving, we begin to think of the essence of thanksgiving, who God is. And we also begin to think of the stuff of thanksgiving, those particular things for which we are thankful. We are able to give thanks because "the Lord has done great things for us whereof we are glad!" (Psalm 126:3). Giving thanks, includes expressing gratitude for those great things.

2 Samuel 22; 1 Samuel 2:1-10; and Romans 15:9 all have a common thread, thanksgiving that brings hope. These words of David are full of thankfulness.

In 2 Samuel 22:1-4 He is thankful for who God is. 1 And David spake unto the LORD the words of this song in the day [that] the LORD had delivered him out of the hand of all his enemies, and out of the hand of Saul: 2 And he said, The LORD [is] my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; 3 The God of my rock; in him will I trust: [he is] my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my saviour; thou savest me from violence. 4 I will call on the LORD, [who is] worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies.

Isn’t his conclusion tremendous? Here is the essence of thanksgiving. 4 "I will call on the Lord, who is worthy to be praised. . . !" If it were not for the Lord there would be little substance to our thanks giving! He is worth of ALL PRAISE!

He then continues to list the things for which he is thankful, all the while, recognizing they come from this LORD, this Rock, the Fortress, this Deliverer, this Shield, this Horn of Salvation, this High Tower, this Refuge, this Savior!

5-7 He delivers out of distress. 8-16 His mighty power booms (verse 14) from heaven to earth, expressing his majesty!. 17-20 David is thankful for personal deliverance. 21-29 David stands in the righteousness of God, the way the Lord delivers, and the power God gives to His people for victory.

In the rest of this Psalm each paragraph begins with an exaltation of God. 29 You are my lamp O Lord. 32 For who is God except the Lord. 36 You have given me the shield of your salvation, and your gentleness has made me great. 44 You have delivered me. . . . And then we come to 47-51 -- "47 The LORD liveth; and blessed [be] my rock; and exalted be the God of the rock of my salvation. 48 It [is] God that avengeth me, and that bringeth down the people under me, 49 And that bringeth me forth from mine enemies: thou also hast lifted me up on high above them that rose up against me: thou hast delivered me from the violent man. 50 Therefore I will give thanks unto thee, O LORD, among the heathen, and I will sing praises unto thy name. 51 [He is] the tower of salvation for his king: and sheweth mercy to his anointed, unto David, and to his seed for evermore."

Once again verse 50 - "Therefore I will give thanks unto thee, O LORD, among the heathen, and I will sing praises unto thy name." The reason for David’s thanksgiving (Therefore) is who God is and what God has done!

Paul repeats this in Romans 15:9, But let me give you 7-13 -- "7 Wherefore receive ye one another, as Christ also received us to the glory of God. 8 Now I say that Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises [made] unto the fathers:

9 And that the Gentiles might glorify God for [his] mercy; as it is written, For this cause I will confess to thee among the Gentiles, and sing unto thy name.

10 And again he saith, Rejoice, ye Gentiles, with his people.

11 And again, Praise the Lord, all ye Gentiles; and laud him, all ye people.

12 And again, Esaias saith, There shall be a root of Jesse, and he that shall rise to reign over the Gentiles; in him shall the Gentiles trust.

13 Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost."

Just as David was able to offer up thanks giving to God for who He was and all He had done for him, so we as believers, may do the same because Christ has come as the Promised One to Israel, and declared among the Gentiles.

I think of a title to an old gospel hymn, "Jesus included me!" He not only ministered grace to Israel but to Gentiles as well. He certainly did not have to. We certainly did not deserve it. But may this Thanksgiving find us abounding in hope as we (9) sing unto His name, (10) rejoice with his people, and (11) praise Him, because of who He is, and what He has done for us!

"Give thanks with a grateful heart, Give thanks to the Holy One, Give thanks because He’s given Jesus Christ, His Son."

Have a wonderful day serving our Wonderful Lord, by Grace Alone!

2 Comments:

Blogger Pilgrim feet said...

Brother Tim:

Take a look at my T-giving blog and feel free to comment. Good blog. TGFTB (Thank God For The Blood) That's what the crimson in the berry could represent.....Glad to see we're on the same page...my angle was the pilgrims.

http://surfmogul.blogspot.com

2:47 PM  
Blogger Timothy A. Gillam said...

I read your blog and appreciate your angle. I have enjoyed my visits to "Plimouth." I am thankful for those who sacrificed so very much for religious freedom. And we rejoice, with thanksgiving for the precious blood of our Lord and Savior! This Thanksgiving will include another "crimson" reminder of our great salvation! TGFTB Indeed!

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home