Name:
Location: Camden, Maine, United States

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

“Mums to Freedom”

From Mums to Freedom? You may think, what in the world do Mums and Freedom have to do with each other?

A LOT! I opened my eyes this morning and there was an old Civil War song that was echoing in the caverns of my memory; “The Battle Cry of Freedom.” You know it, don’t you? “We will rally round the flag boys, we’ll rally once again, Shouting the battle cry of freedom!”
So where do Mums come in? Well, as I walked down the steps I noticed our outside lights were on, and there at the bottom of our porch steps I saw our beautiful Fall Mums, in various stages of bloom. Aren’t Fall Mums beautiful? The colors are so bright, especially the yellow, my favorite.

Anyway, back to the question. One thing to do with your Hardy Mums is to try to get them to winter over. I cut them back after the frost kills them, and mulch them very heavily for their long winter‘s sleep. Then in the Spring I uncover them when the ground is warming up and new growth is emerging. Now here is the connection to Freedom. On the 4th of July, or there about, cut the Mums in half.

Have you ever noticed how spindly Mums that you have wintered over become? Well, on the 4th of July cut them back, they will branch out, produce more flowers, and be compact and beautiful by this time of year.

Wow! That’s a leap! I know, I know, but that is the way this old mind works. The next thing you know I was thinking about the Freedom we have in Christ, our Lord and Savior.

There is a difference between being set Free and Liberty. When one is set free, you might say he is introduced to liberty. Being released is not the same as having the benefits of freedom. Being released is being taken out of slavery, shall we say, and being loosed to enjoy the blessings of liberty.

Now, allow me to apply this to our spiritual lives. When we were saved by God’s wonderful Grace, we were set free! He loosed the chains of our sin, which held us bound. He lifted us up out of an horrible pit, as David said. He took us out of darkness, since we were blind in our sins. That is being Freed.

Now watch how liberty comes in. He loosed the chains of our sin, -- and we walked out of it’s domain. Paul wrote to the Romans, “sin shall not have dominion over you.” He lifted us up out of an horrible pit, -- and placed my feet upon the rock, established my goings, and put a new song in my heart, even praise to our God, as David said. He took us out of darkness, since we were blind in our sins. -- Now we walk in the light of God’s Word, we walk in the light of His fellowship, acording to John. We can now see! Those are the blessings of being set free. . . liberty!

Freedom is the act. Liberty is the result.

Meditate on these verses. Galatians 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. Liberty is to be GUARDED!

Galatians 5:13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only [use] not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another. 14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, [even] in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. Liberty is NOT LICENSE to do anything. it is PRIVILEGE to ENJOY OBEDIENCE to our Savior and Lord!

Psalm 51:12 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me [with thy] free spirit. Liberty is the JOY of our salvation.

Matthew 11:28 Come unto me, all [ye] that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. Liberty is REST for our souls.

So when you are planting those Mums, or when you see them adorning a beautiful garden spot, or this 4th of July when you cut them back, think of this; We have been set FREE from our sin, may we use our LIBERTY to serve our Lord and MASTER Jesus Christ.

Have a wonderful day serving our Wonderful Lord, by Grace Alone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home