Name:
Location: Camden, Maine, United States

Saturday, September 24, 2005

It’s called Praise!

For the last couple of hours the words of Psalm 8 have been rolling over and over in my mind. 8:1 O LORD our Lord, how excellent [is] thy name in all the earth! who hast set thy glory above the heavens. 2 Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength because of thine enemies, that thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger. 3 When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained; 4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him? 5 For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour. 6 Thou madest him to have dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all [things] under his feet: 7 All sheep and oxen, yea, and the beasts of the field; 8 The fowl of the air, and the fish of the sea, [and whatsoever] passeth through the paths of the seas. 9 O LORD our Lord, how excellent [is] thy name in all the earth!

It seems that I cannot get those words out of my mind these days. Perhaps it is because of the storms that have been raging along the Gulf Coast of our country. Or maybe it is because of the struggles some folks have been having in their physical lives. Yet it might just be because it is a song.

Music is so very important. It expresses the joy of our hearts, the burdens we bear, the hopes of our lives, the anguish in which we toil. Music is such an important tool for us to use in our worship whether it be on the Lord’s Day or in our early morning seeking of His fellowship.

Music binds my heart to God’s heart and God’s to mine. It is like the chords of God’s loving grace that has reached and secured my salvation. I am not saying that we are saved because of music, I am saying music, I believe is a gift of God’s grace. In fact David says in Psalm 40: I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry. 2 He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, [and] established my goings. 3 And he hath put a new song in my mouth, [even] praise unto our God: many shall see [it], and fear, and shall trust in the LORD. The pit in this song is a noisome pit. The pit expresses to the believer his past of sin, and the new song in our hearts expresses our salvation by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone!

Music that honors God turns my focus from me to Him. That Music allows my heart to be warmed by emotion that overcomes my circumstances.

It is called praise to Him.

Ron Hamilton’s rendition of Psalm 8, "How Majestic Is Thy Name" is such an expression.

When I consider the work of Thy hands, The sun, moon and stars, above.
What is man that Thou thinkest of him Who is so unworthy of Thy love?

Heavens are telling the glory of God, Each tree points to Christ on high.Why would God, the Creator of all, Take the form of lowly flesh to die?

Jesus, Creator and Ruler of all, Left heaven to die for me. Came to earth, laid aside heaven’s throne, In exchange for death on Calvary.

O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is Thy name.
Mountains, valleys, all creation tells Thy fame.
Heavens declare it, all Thy wondrous works proclaim:
O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is Thy name.

Have a wonderful day serving our Wonderful Lord, by Grace Alone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home