Name:
Location: Camden, Maine, United States

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

When Morning Gilds The Sky

Good Morning Everyone,

I hope you awoke well this morning. I looked out the window of our kitchen a few minutes ago, to see a silvery, golden expanse glistening through our woods. It was the morning gilded sky. Then a song flooded my mind.

When Morning Gilds the Skies
My heart awakening cries,
May Jesus Christ be praised,

The Bible has a lot to say about the morning. Here are a few examples.

When Israel was troubled in Egypt, the Lord answered their troubles in the Morning. In the wilderness wanderings, He sent bread to fill them, and quail to eat, in the Morning.

In the early morning Israel began to offer their daily sacrifices; in the Morning Joshua assembled Israel before entering the Land; in the early Morning victories in battle were secured; in the early Morning righteous Job began his day with God.

Micah, my faithful Assistant in the ministry of our church, read Job 38 and part of chapter 40 this past Lord’s Day, in the aftermath of “Katrina”. (Check out his blog at http://www.bensfriends.com/mestudios/. You will find a lot of good thoughts and even pictures there). Anyway, God is speaking to Job, and really glorifying Himself, which is what God does so very well. Job 38:1-12 1 Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said, 2 Who [is] this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge? 3 Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me. 4 Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding. 5 Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it? 6 Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof; 7 When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy? 8 Or [who] shut up the sea with doors, when it brake forth, [as if] it had issued out of the womb? 9 When I made the cloud the garment thereof, and thick darkness a swaddlingband for it, 10 And brake up for it my decreed [place], and set bars and doors, 11 And said, Hitherto shalt thou come, but no further: and here shall thy proud waves be stayed? 12 Hast thou commanded the morning since thy days; [and] caused the dayspring to know his place. God is so very, “Godish” to the praise of His own glory!

Psalm 5:3 My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O LORD; in the morning will I direct [my prayer] unto thee, and will look up.

Psalm 30:4 Sing unto the LORD, O ye saints of his, and give thanks at the remembrance of his holiness. 5 For his anger [endureth but] a moment; in his favour [is] life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy [cometh] in the morning.

Psalm 92:1 [It is a] good [thing] to give thanks unto the LORD, and to sing praises unto thy name, O most High: 2 To shew forth thy lovingkindness in the morning, and thy faithfulness every night.
I like these verses. In the morning we awake because God is merciful, He does not have to give us another day to live. In the evening we go to rest because God has demonstrated His faithfulness once again.

And of course that brings to mind Lamentations 3:21-24 21 This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. 22 [It is of] the LORD'S mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. 23 [They are] new every morning: great [is] thy faithfulness. 24 The LORD [is] my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him.

Our Lesson for today. When you awake, and after the cobwebs are wiped away, look to the sky. The morning will remind you of the greatness of our God. If it is a stormy morning it is just creation applauding His majesty. If it is a sunny morning it is just one of His stars welcoming Him to a new day. If it has that silvery golden shimmer, it is just a wake up call to praise our Great Creator! May Jesus Christ Be Praised!

Have a wonderful day serving our Wonderful Lord, by Grace Alone.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

I wasn't there last Sunday to hear what Micah read. Reading what our Creator said to Job sent chills up my spine because it reminded me of who we are dealing with. With a mere tremble of His hand we could all be swept away...if it weren't for His mercy. Thanks Pastor for this reminder.

7:30 AM  
Blogger Timothy A. Gillam said...

Amen! Jeff.

7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home