Name:
Location: Camden, Maine, United States

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

The Great Shepherd

I awoke with, what some would say are, the most wonderful words that David ever penned, Psalm 23. That Psalm has delighted in distress, comforted in casualty, calmed in chaos, healed the hurtful, helped the helpless! It is this Psalm that we turn to when we need assurance in time of uncertainty, or an uplift in times of grief.

All of David’s other words that are found in the Bible have the same quality of Inspiration as Psalm 23, but it seem to us that Psalm 23 tops his writings. This Psalm like no other expresses from the heart of a shepherd the work of the Great Shepherd. It guarantees both the spiritual and physical needs of the sheep are met, the protection of the sheep is assured, the relationship of the sheep and shepherd are maintained, the promised future of the sheep will be bright!

Now, while all of that is precious to the believer in the Lord Jesus Christ, what makes Psalm 23 so very wonderful are not the promises but the One who is the Promise Keeper, the Shepherd of our Souls! May I again quote Matthew Henry? "'The Lord is my shepherd.' In these words, the believer is taught to express his satisfaction in the care of the great Pastor of the universe, the Redeemer and Preserver of men. With joy he reflects that he has a shepherd, and that shepherd is Jehovah."

May the Great Shepherd of the Sheep be our consolation in every detail of difficulty! And may He be our joy in every step of our "ordered walk" (Psalm 37:23) whether it takes us to green pastures, still waters, the presence of enemies to the loaded table, or through the valley of the shadow of death to our heavenly home. He will never, ever in any circumstance fail His Sheep!

Why not sing this Psalm from the old Scottish Psalter of 1690 (Belmont):

"The Lord’s My Shepherd, I’ll Not Want"

The Lord’s my Shepherd, I’ll not want.He makes me down to lieIn pastures green; He leadeth meThe quiet waters by.

My soul He doth restore again;And me to walk doth makeWithin the paths of righteousness,Even for His own Name’s sake.

Yea, though I walk in death’s dark vale,Yet will I fear no ill;For Thou art with me; and Thy rodAnd staff my comfort still.

My table Thou hast furnishedIn presence of my foes;My head Thou dost with oil anoint,And my cup overflows.

Goodness and mercy all my lifeShall surely follow me;And in God’s house forevermoreMy dwelling place shall be.

Have a wonderful day serving our Wonderful Lord, by Grace Alone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home